September 22, 2006

currently playing

Depeche Mode - "The complete demo collection"

I feel like grading a little, so I'll start off
with a true classic -
"Some great reward", released sept 24 1984 [uk]
1 . "Something To Do" apparently its all about how
Martin hates his town, its a hard, somewhat rough opener
for any album, so it suits rather well in its repetitive sound,
I'll give 9 of 10
2. "
Lie To Me", "come on and lay with me, come on and lie
to me, tell me you love me, tell me Im the only one",
rather apparent what this is all about, somewhat slow tempo
but a good, steady beat, on a sidenote it gives Andy "Im the most
nonessential person in any band ever" Fletcher something to do
live, to hit a syndrum (altho im sure its already a recorded sound)
I'll give it 9/10
3. "People Are People", talk about a TRUE DM classic song!
Experimental (for its time, released march 1984, cant
remember the exact date in my head ((too tired
to google)) but i THINK its the 12th)), harsh sound
with Davey giving some semi-metallic vocals,
this was the first single release from this album,
sort of a defining moment for DM, if you dont
like this then youre not a TRUE DM fan,
its that simple
This can only be 10/10
4. "It Doesnt Matter", one of the few lowpoints
on this album, a slow balladish song,
with Martin on vocals,
Ill give this a 5/10
5. "Stories of Old", this conclude side A of the
LP (i can see people under 25 thinking
"LP??!? Wtf is a LP?? And whats a "Side A"?)
and IMHO its a very underrated song,
Im not sure but I think they never played
this live (its not on any bootleg I have
and I have a lot of them),
Ill give it 9/10
6. "Somebody", one of the most classic of
the lowtempo, balladlike songs by DM,
Martin gives a nice performance
(he actually did the vocals totally starkers
in the studio, which was completely devoid of lights at
the time), "She will listen to me When I want to speak
About the world we live in And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
She'll hear me out",
a nice song, Ill give it
10/10
7. "Master and Servant"
I remember standing inline outdoors of
my old school on the very first day of
the 9th grade, I leaned towards Mattias Lunn
(and old chum and cohort in crime ^^)
and told him "hey DM is gonna release a new single
on the 20th of August!!" (this was around the 10th)
And since this was somewhat pre-internet times
(hmm) the only way to acquire specific info,
in this case about DM, I was a member of
the "Depeche Mode Information Society",
cost me a bloody fortune, something like 20 quids
a year!! Hmmmmmm
A total classic song, second single of this album,
Dave's vocals are H A RD E R than Tom Byron
was when he was gonna pork Traci Lords
in some pr0nfilm, I love that "metallicish"
reverb, suits the atmos of the song very well,
a total classic !
Can i give this a rating higher than 10??
No? Hmmm a 10/10 seems way too little
8. "If you want"
Love this one, has one of the best intros of any
DM song ever, very nice ambience on this tune,
penned by Alan WIlder (who has THE studio,
i get relaxed just by looking on the pics on his site,
imagine doing music there)
10/10
9. "Blasphemous Rumours", third and last
single taken from this album, it was actually banned
by BBC (!) because of the lyrics... Brits for ya!
Actually its a Double A side single, "Somebody"
is on the flipside, released 29 October 1984
The grade is indisputable, 10/10
And if I may boast a tad, i have the original
7inch single cover with autographs hehe :)
"I dont wanna start any blasphemous rumours,
but I think that God got a sick sense of humour,
and when i die, I expect to find him laughing"
A classic song and a worthy closure for
"Some Great Reward", all in all one of the most
evenly balanced albums by DM

"Summer's day
As she passed away
Birds were singing
In the summer sky
Then came the rain
And once again
A tear fell
From her mother's eye"

1 Comments:

At 2:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some great är bandets näst bästa alster! Jag har tagit mitt förnuft till fånga och petat ner Violator på en 3:e plats. Some great är mer primal, mer industriell och mer kraftfull! Det gillas ju! Samt givetvis att den inhyser klassiska och cp-skadat bra låtar (visserligen gör ju Violator det också). Kan vara av nostalgiska skäl att jag föredrar Some great..
Lite skräll dock att du ger Somebody 10 av 10. Jag skulle nog endast ge den en 5:a eller 6:a. Faktum är att jag föredrar It doesn´t matter framför SOmebody. Annars är dina betyg rättfärdiga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home